Read the entire article here: https://twitter.com/chronicle/status/772435298743492608
Here are the 5 key points:
1. The way the federal government measures students’ financial need is misleading.
2. Low-income children are supporting their parents, grandparents, and even siblings, all while being unable to buy their books.
3. A significant fraction of students are going without sufficient food or housing.
4. Working in college is an American tradition. But 2016 is not 1975. Many students without jobs are searching for work they can’t find.
5. With prices at an all-time high, taking a loan for college has become a necessity rather than a choice. Yet the prospects of graduating from college, let alone getting a good job afterward, are uncertain.